Spicy Rice with Black Beans and Corn
This recipe evolved from an attempt to make a vegetarian dish with whatever ingredients I had around. Eventually I settled on the the ingredients listed below. It goes well as a side dish, main dish, or even as a burrito filling.
- one cup (uncooked) white rice
- one 15 oz. can black beans, partly drained
- one cup frozen corn
- one cup water
- one 15 oz. can tomato sauce
- one 4 oz. can sliced mushrooms
- one small onion, chopped
- one small green pepper, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- one Tbsp. cumin
- salt, red and black pepper to taste
Sauté the onions, green pepper and garlic in a heavy large saucepan until tender. Drain the mushrooms and add them to the mix and sauté a few more minutes. Mix in the rice and brown a few more minutes. Add water, tomato sauce and remaing ingredients. Bring to a boil; cover and reduce heat. Simmer 15 to 20 minutes, or until the liquid is absorbed.