Shell Noodles with White Clam Sauce
- One half pound shell noodles
- One can (4 oz.) sliced or chopped mushrooms, drained
- One can (6½ oz.) minced or chopped clams, drained with 2-3 Tbs. juice reserved
- One medium or large onion, chopped
- Two or three cloves garlic, chopped
- 2-4 tsp. parsley flakes
- 2-4 Tbs. olive oil
- White sauce ingredients:
- 4 Tbs. butter
- 4 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- One half tsp. salt
- 2 cups milk
- pepper to taste
Cook shell noodles in boiling water, drain, and set aside.
White sauce: Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan. Blend in the flour, salt, and pepper, and mix thoroughly. Add the milk all at once. Heat over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened.
Brown onions and garlic in olive oil. Add the clams (and juice), mushrooms, and parsley to the onions and garlic. Heat the mixture, add to the white sauce, and mix thoroughly. Pour over noodles and serve.