November 3, 2009

New Page: Old Family Photos

Filed under: Uncategorized,web authoring,what's new — Nick @ 2:04 pm

I added a new page to the Photo Gallery page: Old Family Photos. At this time, most of these photos were in a photo album that was on display at my Dad’s memorial service in 2004 and were collected from various members of my family. I scanned them for posterity, and I had been meaning to make a web-based photo album over the years, but just hadn’t got to it. At the moment, they are uncaptioned and undated, and are likely to remain so in the foreseeable future, but those who are are most likely to be interested in them will probably know the approximate context.

I had put off making this album because I realized that making this page by hand-editing the html was going to be too much effort, an so I was going to need some sort of automated solution. My web host offers a couple of content-management systems for photo albums; I played around a bit with Coppermine and Gallery, but I couldn’t get them to do what I really wanted or found an easy way to customize the page to make it look like rest of the website. In any case, they seemed more oriented toward photo sharing among multiple users. Finally, I found a simple php script that would just wrap some code around some images I uploaded to a directory, and that seemed to be a simple way to do what I wanted, more or less.

October 17, 2009

Updated page: comics links

Filed under: comics,fun,web authoring,what's new — Nick @ 12:04 am

I just updated the comics page to include a bunch of links to comic strips (mostly ones found in newspapers, although there may be a few webcomics in there if read them, and there are also a few strips that are retired but in reruns).

At first I started making the links using the TABLE element, which seemed logical at the time. I had the idea that could apply the CSS overflow property to the TBODY element to make a scrollable table, but that didn’t seem to work in most browsers. Moreover, after looking over the CSS spec, I’m not even sure that overflow can be applied to TBODY at all.

After that, I decide to use nested list element markup, which ended up saving a lot of lines of code, at least. To save browser space, I gave the list elements a fixed width and floated them so they would all line up. I had to use a few tweaks to get it to look right in several browsers (including some older ones), but eventually I think I got the bugs worked out.

September 20, 2009

New page – Orthodox Churches in Indianapolis

Filed under: faith and religion,web authoring,what's new — Nick @ 2:54 am

IĀ  added a new page to this website: Orthodox Churches in Indianapolis. I used this page partly to learnĀ  how to create a custom map with google maps and embed it in a webpage. Initially I intended to make the page to HTML 4.01 strict standards. However, google supplies code to embed the page using the IFRAME element, which is deprecated for strict doctypes. (The embedded code also seems to throw some validation errors, but that’s a rant for another day). I played around for awhile trying to convert it to an OBJECT element, but that turned out to be more trouble than it was worth; moreover, OBJECT does not play very nice with Internet Explorer (or perhaps vice versa), so eventually I gave up and used a transitional doctype, thinking that usability might be more important than purity of code.

Powered by WordPress